The fourth of July was kind of mellow for us over this side.
I almost forgot about it and got really confused when my room mate randomly
started talking about trying to find fireworks and our plans for the evening of
the 4th…I was like…what’s happening? Why do we need to do anything?
Cant we just stay in and relax?
I eventually figured things out.
We decided to have a few friends over for dinner and hanging
out and planned to go to the roof to see if there were any fireworks being shot
from somewhere. Apparently fireworks are illegal in Bangladesh though, so
none. Our “American” food we planned on
having turned out to be thai food, which was still a nice change from the ever
common rice and dhal, then kind of just sat around and caught up with people.
Hardly a party, but it was fine. Some of the girls lived in a pretty far area
of town and had no way of getting home so they spent the night at the apartment
with us. It was nice to have company, and we had bodies to fill some of our extra
beds. Two had to sleep out in the living room, one in my roommates spare bed,
one in my spare bed, then another in my bed with me. It was the kind of situate
where you also don’t get a lot of quality sleep as you do a lot of late night
chatting, then don’t sleep well anyways since your afraid of rolling over on
top of your bed buddy.
This would have been fine normally, but my next day was a
pretty big one as I had a major meeting with the head of an NGO collaborator at
8:30 am in a part of town I had never been to before and then was leaving town
for the weekend to go to visit my friend Nadji’s town up north called
Mymensing.
The next morning I was up and ready to go at 6:30 when I
started to work to meet the guy I was supposed to travel to the other office
with, as he apparently knew where it was. As soon as we got in the CNG however
at 7:15 he turns to me and say…”So, do you know the address?” Ummmm…that is what you are for buddy. So that
was kinda scarry, but we got things figured out with a few phone calls. The drive over took a while
with lots of morning traffic, and my travel buddy was quickly developing a
crush on me. A little awkward, not something I ususally have to deal with
icddrb employees but whatever, he just wanted me to take him back to America
with me, and a latter mention of the fact I was a Christian put a quick end to
the romance, I should remember to bust that one out sooner next time.
We eventually found the office, after a few stops to ask for
help, and U-turns in super narrow alleys, and only 15 min late, which is quite
on time in Bangladeshi standards. My travel buddy then took off to who knows
where, I guess we were done and I had my meeting. I expected it to be a short
30 min meeting, which soon turned into 2 hours. I suppose that is good when you
are getting information, and it was a good thing we had tea to help wake me up
and get me rolling again.
When the meeting was done I walk out of the office, which is
on a narrow muddy side road in the middle of nowhere Dhaka, and think…”Cool,
now what.” I walk up to some security guards and ask if they know where I can
find a CNG as this clearly wasn’t a major passageway for such vehicles, and
they seemed to indicate that was a far distance, so I hoped on a rickshaw and
the security guards seemed to communicate that he should take me to a place for
CNG, and off we went.
We soon made it to a major road, and I went off in search
for a CNG, I finally found an empty one and when I asked the cost to go to
Gulshan 1 (where my office is) I was quoted 500 taka (for a max of 200taka
distance). And try as I might I couldn’t get him to budge. I didn’t even have
500 taka on me so I went looking for another ride, to no avail. All CNG’s were
packed out, and not very many were even passing by. Well I said to myself, I
guess its time for me to figure out the bus system here (which I don’t know any
westerner who uses the in Dhaka bus system, so super adventure time!) I walk over to the first bus I see and try
and ask if I can get something to Gulshan 1, and he seems to tell me there are
no buses for Gulshan 1…at least I think. But that is when I hear in the
distance “Mohakhali Mohakhali” Which is where the icddrb main campus is, and
also where there are hourly shuttles back and forth between the campus and my
office.
I decided to test my luck and run over to the bus and ask
“cholera hospital?” (which is what the icddrb is more commonly known by here in
Bangladesh). They seemed to respond positively and I got on. The thing with
busses in Bangladesh is… it apparently wastes too much time to stop the bus
when people need to get off, so the general tendency is for people to just hop
off when it slows down a bit. So after a few min of sitting on my bus going
somewhere they turn to me and tell me its time for me to make my departure. I
time my jump well and land it quite gracefully, and manage to scurry my way
through the oncoming traffic, over to the sidewalk. I still have no idea where
I am, so just start asking people “cholera hospital?” and I slowly made my way
in the direction people were pointing and indicating, and I finally started to
recognize some familiar ground. I made it to the front of the center just as
the shuttle to my center was pulling out and hopped right on to head “home”. It
felt nice getting back to my desk, where I checked my email to recover, then
decided I needed to go home and pack, as it was past noon, and I was going to
be picked up by my friend at 3.
As I exited the building, what had been a quite sunny and
sweltering day and magically transformed into a grey and windy mess. This can
only mean one thing…monsoons are on their way, and sure enough, a minute later
the rain came tumbling down. I had my umbrella thankfully, and made it to a
rickshaw stand only getting my legs and feet wet, then got a man to wrap me up
and take me close to home. It was a little more expensive than normal (I gave
him 50 cents as opposed to the 25 I usually pay), but I felt it was worth
getting back quick. It was raining just too hard when I got off for me to walk
home however, so I waited out the worst under an overhang, than scurried home
when it let up a little, and made it home more than a little drippy.
It was a quick pack up, and a quick lay-down before my
friend picked me up, and we got in her private car for the drive up to
Mymensing. It is usually a 3-3.5 hour drive apparently, this took us closer to
5.5, but it was ok as it was good company and for me I still enjoy seeing all
the scenery.
We arrived in Mymensing at around 9 pm, which was weird to
be driving in rural areas at night, actually, its still just weird to be out at
night usually. We had some quick dinner
that her cook had made and saved us, some tea, talked about the pans for the
next day, and hit the sack. I slept on
her bed under a mosquito net, fan on and patio door open pulling in the night
coolness. It was lovely and it made me wish I could do that in Dhaka…if not for
safety issues.
The next day I was up at 7:45 and we had a DELICIOUS
breakfast of eggs and green beans and porata, which is like fried chapattis,
and some amazingly intense coffee made in hot water and poured through a
strainer. After breakfast we got ready
and decided to walk down to the lake and things through the center of town and
do some brief exploring before going to “church” at 10.
I really liked Mymensing, it’s a city so still lots of
buildings and people, but its is less stacked and more sprawling than Dhaka, so
I enjoyed it a lot, being able to see the sky and feeling a little more
free. On our way we stopped by a little
plant fair they were having, which was cute…I love plants, especially ones I
have never seen before! Then went to the lake and walked along it looking at
the nice water and boats skirting back and forth across it.
The service was us quietly coming in the back door to a room of people kneeling on bamboo mats spread out on the floor, up front an icon of Jesus on a cross with candles set up around to provide some light. The group was singing a song in Bangla, which was basically a psalm or a short prayer that they were repeating with music. It was amazing to hear the voices singing together, with a totally Bangla sound to it with finger cymbals, little drums, and a few other Bangladeshi instruments. Most of the songs were in Bangla, but a few in English, and some of them, if they weren’t in English, you could find the passage in a book of psalms and follow along. It was lovely, and a great experience. It was only about 30 min of it. Singing and times of silence when you would pray and meditate on the passage. It was so refreshing and amazing to see something like this taking place in a little building in the middle of nowhere Bangladesh.
It was then time for the second taise brothers service. Nadji can’t normally go as its after dark and she would not be able to get home, but with the two of us it was ok. This was even more awesome than the first service, as it was so dark, and it was an hour-long time. It was so lovely again to just praise God in different languages, with such different people, and in a way that is foreign but beautiful to myself. Its going to be one of those memories I will try and hold on to forever as one of my most beautiful moments (I have an on-going list of these, ask me about them if you would like to know more).
We then wandered home in the dark after the service, got home and made a delicious “American” dinner of mac and cheese with some bacon on top, and fresh carrots, I felt like I was eating like a KING. We then sat around chatting until it was quite late and definitely time for bed. Again I slept under my peaceful net with fresh air blowing all around me, and had the best sleep in ages.
| Mymensing at night, the view from my door |
| Mymensing in the daytime, washed by the rain |
We stopped by a few other places on our way back, such as a memonite community area where there are many women working to get out of the sex-trade work, making things like cloth, beads, soap etc. One project that I found super exciting was them making whole cloth by weaving pineapple strings together for string, than using that to weave. Absolutely incredible! I wasn’t aloud to take pictures here however for the security of the women.
| Palm Strings |
| Loom to weave the palm strings |
| Children playing in the downpour! |
By then it was time to head home, have lunch, and get me
packed up for my trip home to Dhaka. We had a lunch of left-over pot-pie,
waited for the rain to die down, then took a rickshaw over to the bus station,
where we waited in line for my ticket. I guess women get their own line for
these things, so that was super nice as there were only like 20 women in line
and a good 200 men!
I was definitely a
big shock to the bus to see a white girl get on, especially one traveling
alone. They guy sitting next to me asked to clarify that 3 times during the
course of the trip, as he just couldn’t believe I was alone. I told him not to worry though; my husband
was going to pick me up at the station once we arrived back in Dhaka (this
husband of mine is getting a lot of work out of him for not actually existing).
The guy that was next to me was quite nice and friendly, but also old and
married with 2 daughters, which definitely helps with the comfort factor for
me. He tried to talk to me a little before the language barrier got in the way,
and it was so funny to hear how my information slowly passed up the bus like
wildfire. “Oh she works in Dhaka at the cholera hospital” and you could hear it
whispered up the side. “Oh she is married, but has a friend in Mymensing”
whisper whisper whisper. The man that was on the other side of the guy I was
sitting next to clearly thought I was the most amazing thing he had ever seen
in his life and didn’t take his eyes off of me for the whole 4 hour ride.
Totally no effort to conceal it either, which made it weird for me not knowing
where to look. By the end of the ride he was asking me questions about things I
have no idea how he even knew about, like the burn-scar on the inside of my
elbow, that was facing away from him.
Eventually it was time for me to hop off, similar to the bus
situation from before, and off I went, much to the sadness of my seat
neighbors. I then caught a rickshaw home, climbed the stairs to my apartment,
and walked in feeling like QUITE the Bangladeshi. I ate nutella for dinner. Not
on toast or anything…just with a spoon out of a jar like a grown mature adult,
then called it quits pretty early for the night, already missing my airy quiet
room in Mymensing.
P.S I have no idea why my blog is randomly highlighting certain portions, and I have no idea how to make it stop. I am sorry for any distraction this may cause while reading.


No comments:
Post a Comment