Sunday, May 27, 2012

Achha



 My new most used work since arrival I think would have to be “achha”, “Ok”. The stories that ensue are all because I have said Achha a few too many times. 

The past few days have been pretty busy. Lots of traveling here and there, meeting people, etc.; typical life stuff picking up again I suppose.  The weekend is Friday and Saturday here, and although I was pretty beat after my first week here, the weekend was pretty packed, although also enjoyable.

So many CUCUMBERS!
This weekend was also one of my room mates last weekends in country (and has since headed back to Canada), so we wanted to make it a little special for her. There is a place called Old Dhaka here, which is the old part of the city that has been here since like the byzantine era. Its been occupied and built up around obviously since then, but there are still a few old buildings and it’s a cool place to go see. My room mate had heard of a walking tour that we could have for pretty cheep and thought it would be fun to learn some of the history behind it, so we all did that on our Friday morning. Up at 6:30 again to get down there before the heat of the day. Even so we were walking around mostly from 10-3:30 that day, so that didn’t happen. It was fun wandering around, and feeling like it was OK to take pictures since we were playing tourists that day (full picture album will be on Facebook soon!). My fav part was the market we got to go to. I don’t think I have ever seen so much produce in my life. It was all arriving in the market from across the river (it was like a port market), in these tiny little canoe type things. The water was amazingly filthy, but it was still a cool place, and I hope to go back and apparently you can go out on the boats for about $1.
That is the waterfront of Dhaka,
where many children were swimming in it

At the end of the tour we decided we were starving (3:30 pm and no lunch!) and we had heard of an amazing biryani place someplace around the area. We asked one of the young men we had acquired while wandering around the city if he knew it, and he did, and rather than directing us, he and his friend decided to accompany us there. Normally if this was another country I’m more used to I think that would have been a huge no-no in my mind, but the young people here all seem to genuinely just want to be friends, and are not at all creepy, plus there were 4 of us, and two of them.  The food was delicious, and I finally tried my luck at eating rice completely with my hands. Im not talking picking things up with bread like im so used to…but actually balling up the rice on your plate with your fingers and scooping it into your mouth. My Turkish roommate said I was a natural.
Me in front of an old building with trees
growing out of it!

Once we had recovered from the hunger and heat we decided it was far time to head home, however when we were leaving the restaurant we ran into a huge parade/ceremony thing for this little boy who had just been circumcised apparently. And this is where the crazy started.

We were just trying to watch from the side of the road, listening to the music and looking at all the pretty clothes etc, but then all of a sudden we were being shoved inside and against a wall. And they were videoing us, and throwing children in our arms, and we were invited inside for the meal and party (we declined, we had to go) but there were people everywhere taking pictures of us on their phones like we were the spectacle of the party or celebrities or something. And I was holding the little boy who was just circumcised (they liked me best because of my blond hair).


Our two new buddies and one of my room mates
on our spectacular carriage ride

Once we were able to break away however, we needed to get to an area to take a CMG witch are like little motorcycles with boxes on the back that people ride in cages. This is how we were going to get home, and it was like a 5-10 min walk. But oh no…we were special, so we ended up being shoved into the horse-drawn carriage that the little boy and his family had arrived in.  So as if four western girls WALKING around wasn’t a spectacle enough, how about four western girls in a horse-drawn carriage, with bells and flowers everywhere signaling our arrival. Good luck getting a good price on a CMG when you arrive in THAT. I was pretty mortified that we were doing it, but it was also kinda fun. We also ended up accidently stealing one of the little children from the party on accident as well, which was kind of a disaster. But the carriage had to go back to the party anyways, so I think it all worked out.  Needless to say it was quite an experience.

We got home, and my number 1 priority was to first shower, as I think I had sweat about a gallon of water out of my system, then to drink lots and lots of water (and some mango juice… ) That evening we had also been invited to an expat party at another interns apt, so that evening we went there. It was very much NOT my type of scene. It was just weird. Same conversation over and over again, “how long have you been here, where are you from, what do you do, where else have you been” its like the way to figure out where you fit in the hierarchy of everyone. And oh yes…there is definitely a hierarchy. It was so weird too as there were people there in the fashion industry who are there for cheep labor and I was like…I literally connect with you on NO level whatsoever. Needless to say, I think I’m pretty low on the hierarchy, but I’m ok with that, I doubt ill ever go back to one of the parties or see any of them again.

The next day (Saturday) me and one of my roommates went over to the American Club. She knew a lady who was working at a hospital up north, and she had invited her over to the club to meet here and hear what is going on. The lady is actually a M, and it was nice to hear about her work and everything. I also found out about a church service that takes place on Fridays I think ill try and go to next weekend, which would be so nice.  The American club is a fancy place not too far from where I live, you have to have a membership that costs like 50 bucks a month to get in, or you can also have people who do have memberships sign you in for free! They have American food over there, a pool, gym and a yard and fast wifi, which was all super nice. The most enticing thing was the pool, it sounded SO nice to jump in and cool off, and maybe to get some sun on my legs for once, but we were just there for coffee that day. It has the same atmosphere as the party though, hierarchies and snobby people. I would love to go and just be in my own bubble of pools and fast wifi, but I think it’s a little too expensive, and not my type of people. Plus I’m here to experience Bangladesh, and for 3 months I hope I can handle being away from America.

Typical bargaining for leeches my new fav!
  
That afternoon I had to do some grocery shopping and some other errands, which always seem to take a long time here walking to and from the stores lugging all your stuff around. And I also met with a new intern who will be working on some other WASH (water, hygiene, sanitation) stuff. She is a bit of a negative Nancy so that will be interesting working with, also it sounds like she will be moving into our apartment soon. So it’s going to be 24 hours of her, which sounds quite difficult to me (probably the most frustrating thing about being here so far, which I find ironic). Hopefully her attitude will start to change, or she will stop stopping my desk every 10 min complaining about stuff, and wasting my time while I’m trying to work.

Anyways, that Saturday evening was my room mates last in country, so we went and got her cupcakes and brought them to the apartment to say bye. It was weird to think I have only been here for a little over one week now as it has felt like so much longer, and it is crazy how close you can get to people in one week when the circumstances are right. 

I was still quite tired when I had to go back into work on Sunday, I actually had to take a little 5 min nap in the bathroom around 11 just cuz I couldn’t keep my eyes open at my desk.  After work I went and got ice-cream with some two other students from Emory who are here in Bangladesh for a different project. They are in a different city most of the time, so I don’t see them, but they were in town for the day, and it was nice to see them and hear what was going on with their study. Familiar faces are nice, and its always funny seeing people outside of where you have placed them mentally.

Me and one of my room mates squished onto a
rickshaw with the top pulled up. Its not made for 5'10" ppl
Today is quite rainy outside, its kind of funny seeing people riding around on rickshaws, the method to keep dry in them, is the rickshawalla gives you a portion of a tarp they have cut, and you wrap up with it like a blanket. It looks quite funny, and is probably the hottest thing ever, as its still in the 90’s F even while raining, and double humid.  I can’t imagine wrapping up in a stifling plastic tarp on top of all of that. I think ill probably just brave the rain this afternoon. I did that yesterday, while wearing a new purple salwar kameez, and I ended up dying my whole body purple/pink. I scrubbed a lot last night in the shower, and it still hasn’t come out. I look like I got into a serious fight, and have bruises all over my shoulders and back.

That’s all for now. Its been a crazy few days, hopefully tonight I can get some extra sleep, so I can be double productive at work afterwards since yesterday and today have kinda been a little slow.


No comments:

Post a Comment