Sunday, May 20, 2012

My first day of Work?


 When preparing for my GFE (Global Field Experience, this is what Emory calls this trip their students make to go abroad and do research), one theme that continued to be repeated was to expect delays. Expect things to not go on schedule, expect things to not happen when planned. When I heard this I though, “Oh ya, I know how these things work, I grew up overseas, I’m used to this sort of mentality. But don’t worry, I know how to roll with the punches”.

Its pretty much a safe bet in my life though, that as soon as I think that very though, my arrogance is about to come back and slap me in the face. And today was no exception.

Today was my first day of work, YAY! I was worried I would not be able to come in as there were rumors of more strikes today, and potentially even tomorrow! It would have seriously bummed me out if I managed to go almost my whole first week in Bangladesh doing absolutely zero work for my project. But my prayers paid off and I was able to come into work! Well…sort of.

First things off, it was absolutely torrential rain pouring down this morning when we went to get picked up by our bus that takes us to the Center. But it was nowhere in sight. 15 min. later we started getting concerned and calling around, and eventually we got it all worked out and pretty soon the buss was to us; 30 min late, and us soaked to the bone (even under umbrellas).  Then we had to wade through the masses of traffic, terrible even on normal standards, this chaos was made even more intense through the streets being flooded with at least a foot of water everywhere.

By the time we arrived at the center however, the sun and poked through and all form of rainclouds had disappeared. I had come to this main center (there are actually 2 centers for the ICDDRB in Dhaka and Im at a smaller one about 4k away from the larger main campus)  to meet with the student coordinator, give all my information, pay rent, just general administrative things like that. But she wasn’t there, so we waited again.

40 min later (it was about 9:40, keep this in mind) she showed up, and was a lovely lady and very kind. I like her tremendously already. We sat down and I asked her a few questions and she filled me in on some things, and then told me there are some buses that go between my center and the main center 4 times a day, the next one being at 10, and the one after that not until 3:30. I was like oh that is great ill catch that one at 10, that should be just enough time to get all the paperwork in. But then she was like, “We can just do that later…would you like a cup of coffee?” By now it was 9:50 but I didn’t want to be rude, so I said yes (Its been my first coffee since arrival in country, although I have been downing the tea by the bucketful!). So then we got to sit and just chat, and she told me how long she had been working there and things like that, and I told her a little about me. All the while wondering…what is going ON! I need to catch my bus! I want to get to work at least a LITTLE today! By now it was 10:15 and I had just decided I must just be missing my bus, and I would just hang out in the library and get stuff done, when she was like “Ok we should go get that bus now”, and sure enough it was still there waiting for me! And then even when I got in, it sat there for a good 10 more minutes before we got moving! And there I went, to my office, having gotten no paperwork done what-so-ever, but at least a belly full of nice hot coffee.

The drive to my center however was very insightful. It took me through some very small side streets, and past houses and ponds that I think showed me the real Dhaka (as opposed to the little more upscale side of things that I’m living in now), and it was incredible…and I can now see why we have so much of a sanitation/ hygiene issue here and so many cases of Diarrhea. It made me even more excited for my urban field site visits that I should be doing soon!

Soon enough I was to my building…although I didn’t know what floor the center was actually on. So I just followed people discreetly, acting like I knew where I was, which only backfired when I needed a badge to enter. Apparently the man I needed to meet was also out?
“Untill when”
“We don’t know, he is supposed to be here now, but we have not seen him all morning.”

Ok! Good thing one of my roommates worked here at this center and I was able to call her down. She helped orient me a little and introduce me to some of the other people. But there was no desk for me so I just sat in the break room (good thing I brought my laptop with me!) with all the tea and lunch food. That was also kind of tricky though too, since I didn’t have any Internet access because I have no log in id or password.

So this is me now:
  • My main supervisor, PI person is gone for a whole month on a leave. Missed her by ONE day because of a strike.
  • She told me to report to another man. But he is out for the next two days. I should be able to meet him Tuesday (the Wednesday of an American week).
  • The lady who was supposed to give me all my paperwork and info decided coffee was a better idea (that one IS hard to argue with).
  • The man who is supposed to orient me is out, I have no desk, no Internet, no guidance, basically no project.

At least I had a good place to chill, everyone came in to my “office” for lunch and I got to sit there and try and talk to people, but it was all in Bengali, So I understood zero. Eventually one lady came in who spoke English and it was nice to meet her. She explained a lot to me.

Shortly after lunch the man who was supposed to give me a desk, etc. finally showed up (It is now 2pm).  He showed me around the office a little and told me what was what. Then he took me to my station. Which was on a completely different floor (there was no open spaces where everyone else is). This level is an area about a 6 by 12 meter square area. And Im pretty sure there are over a hundred people working on this floor. Lucky the lady who works next to me speaks some English, but I think she might be the only one. And I cant get back to the other floor since I have no ID badge still, and I still have no internet access, as I still have no user name. But at least I have a location to be aimless in for the next 2 days. 

Also I forgot to mention I woke up this morning with a cold, so all day I have been sniffing and kinda fuzzy in the head. So I went to get some afternoon tea (I love that we have tea breaks here). But I put salt in my tea rather than sugar…. I really need to learn some Bengali.

45 more min. till I can go home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment