Friday, May 18, 2012

The great Salwar adventure


Well I just wrote a whole bazillion pg update…and then I pushed post…0nly it actually deleted. Oh well now I learned my lesson about these things, and I should save! But now onto the real content!

The past 2 days here have been the weekend (Friday and Saturday), which I find entirely strange, and might take me a few weeks to get used to! But it has actually been really nice as it has given me a few extra days to settle in, get over jetlag, and explore! Yesterday that was sort of my main item on the agenda! I did spend most of my morning doing some reading and literature searches for my project (but there is only so much I can do, having not even gone in yet). But then after lunch me and on of my room mates (who arrive in country about 4 hours after I did!) decided we should go out and try and buy some Salwar Kameez's, which basically is what most Bangladeshi women wear here. I think they are absolutely beautiful as well, So I was really excited to get some.

Ricshawalla kid doing some repairs
to his Rickshaw.
(Sorry its fuzzy, I was trying to be discreet!)
It was great to get out and trop through the streets again. It was great to be weaving in and out and in front of the crazy traffic and rickshaws that are everywhere. I’m pretty sure my roommate thought I was crazy, but I think my Yemen instincts kicked in pretty quick again and I was walking like a local in no time (or so I like to think). There is a big intersection / circle about 1k from my apartment that I think has pretty much anything I will ever need while here, Its nice to be so close to so much!  We found a little alleyway around there that had tons of cloth shops and salwar stalls and that is were the fun began! I felt like I was back in my element! It reminded me So much of Yemen (back on Jamal st. or Tahreer for those of you who know) It was exciting to dig through the piles of bright colors and barter and move from shop to shop. It was great fun, even with a language barrier. Before yesterday I knew about 10 words, just a few numbers, right, left, enough, thank you, how much…just the essentials. I have a few more now, but I also now know I should carry a notepad around with me and just be nerdy and write it down right away or I forget!


My room mate bartering for some
cloth for her salwar.
There was one problem though with the shopping, My room mate, who is probably a US size 6, and only 5’6” was having a hard time getting salwars that would be big enough (and the two she ended up getting, when we got home were super tight. Were hoping they stretch out with more wearing). So me who is 5’10” (taller than the average Bangladeshi MAN), and definitely not a size 6, was just not going to find anything that would fit. BUT there were these cool half made things, that are like pre-cut fabric that you can take to a tailor and have them sew it up for you super cheep. So that is what I did, and think it was way more fun anyways. That way I got to pick my own neckline shape, sleeve length, and even some extra sparkly edging to go around. That was a whole other adventure with the language barrier, but we will find out next week if we made it work!


Me with the tailor figuring out my salwar kameez!


My room mate getting measured.
As you can see, it was a hot day!
By the time that was all done, my shopping buddy looked like she was about to faint, and had pretty much soaked her shirt through in sweat (I was surprisingly not nearly as sticky, I think I might be getting used to it!) so we took refuge in a juice bar. All I need to say is Yummy yummy in my tummy. I think I might OD on mangoes, pineapple and bananas while I’m here, but I personally think it would be a very delicious way to die. I also know I’m putting my GI tract to the test, but I’m hoping again my Yemeni side will shine through again and ill be fine. So far all is well!

Me talking to the street tailor.
(my salwar is the bright pink cloth on the machine)
After that we felt very much revived, and decided to hit the shops again to get some fabric to hang on our walls to spruce up the place, as right now we seem to be going for a very dungeon / prison motif. While there we both ended up buying another salwar kameez and getting that one made by just a street side tailor. This is basically just an old man with an old singer sewing machine from the 50’s sitting on the side of the road. He said he could have it ready by the next day, so I’ll be popping over again later to pick it up. I managed to get some pictures while out, but when I go back later today I will bring my REAL camera (as opposed to my phone camera) and get some better photos. But for now you can see some posted below.

When we got home it was basically dinnertime, and my roommates and I all ate together a delicious Bangladeshi dinner, and then spent the evening chatting. They are all so great to learn from both culturally and academically. All three of them are in PhD programs and doing so much already, its great to get the insider scoop.  By 10 pm though I had pretty much hit my limit and called it a night. I came in to write my blog and sat down on my bed with my computer to type and immediately fell asleep fully clothed, computer open (those of you who have lived with me know this absolutely never happens, so I must have been pretty beat). Luckily I woke up an hour later and was able to change and get ready for bed.

Today I’m mostly just doing more research for my project, a little language stuff, and then ill hit the streets again to pick up my salwar, take some pictures and maybe practice my phrases (although this usually gets me into trouble, as then people try and talk to me, and I don’t know anything!) Hopefully I go into the Center for the first time tomorrow, however there are some rumors of another strike, in which case I wouldn’t be able to go!

That is all for now. Update more later!






No comments:

Post a Comment