Yesterday I was FINALLY able to meet one of my supervisors
and discuss my project. It was a huge relief and very helpful, although a bit
different then expected. I guess we have had a little bit of a
miss-communication between my head supervisor lady and me. I had thought that I
was joining on to a study that is already underway here at the Center. Already
designed, maybe even in the process of analysis, I was actually very unsure.
However yesterday I sat down with this man, and the first
thing he says to me is…”Ok, do you have your research questions decided yet?”
Ummm what! You have my research question! You have the
study!
It’s not a big deal, I totally can handle making my own
research question and analyzing that for myself, I just wish I had known a few
weeks ago as I could have been working on this a little bit more over the previous
weeks (I have some stuff I have already done earlier, but I kinda didn’t do it
to the full of my abilities since I didn’t think I would be using it)! There
are tons of data at my disposal however here, from several other studies, and I
think I will use pretty much all my sanitation and hygiene data from these,
making my life easier.
I do know what I want my research question to be…but now
it’s a whole other battle trying to recall all my Epi and Biostats knowledge to
write an appropriate and effective study! I wish I had brought my notes from
school with me (I could use a serious brush-up on retrospective case-controls)! I was able to spend most of my day getting my whole plant set up and I'm feeling pretty on top of things now.
Soon after I discovered my project misunderstanding I had to go to a
different center for a scientific symposium thing, so it helped me not get too
overwhelmed right at first. It was a nice talk about streptococcal pneumonia,
which I thought was interesting as I have a cold (which I managed to find some
medicine for eventually the other day and I'm beginning to feel much better). It
was also a good chance to meet some other people around the center doing other
projects. It was an incredibly hot day (97, felt like 112 outside according to
Weather.com), so having 50-60 people crammed into a lecture hall was a little
uncomfortable to say the least.
I usually shower every morning as I get ready for work, and
then when I get home at the end of the day I’m so sticky and sweaty and gross I
usually hop in the shower again for just a moment to rinse the day off. I don’t
know if I’m really just this dirty, or if its all from my feet, or if the sweat
makes dirt just coagulate onto you, but every evening in that rinse off time,
the water pooling at my feet is brown! Always. I just don’t get how I can get
that dirty each day walking to and from work.
Recently I have also been subsiding off of fruit juice. I
have been buying some cartons of different types of juice as they are SO cheep
here and so refreshing after the hot day. I usually try mixing them and im
coming up with some delicious drinks. Yesterday was mango, guava and milk. Most
drinks consist of a mango base and a splash of milk just to make it kind of
smoothy-ish. Best thing after a hot day!
Today at work I was able to really start to dive into my
project. It was a lot of me probably not looking like I was doing much as I
just spent most of the time reading stuff and scribbling stuff on a piece of
paper trying to get my thoughts organized, but it was productive for me, and
I’m staring to feel good about everything, and also like this summer is going
to be a very VERY busy time. Busy with fun stuff though so that will be great.
Below are some pictures I snapped real quickly on my way to
work using my iPhone. I want to go out with my real camera, but Its so
conspicuous and I just don’t know how best to do that yet without just drawing
a ridiculous crowd. I might just have to go out at 6am some day and get it in
at sunrise before people are out. Hope it helps give a small picture of what
its like!



Hey the photos are awesome! I think the iPhone is serving you pretty well!
ReplyDelete